How the fuck should I know?

Rainbows, unicorns, customers, clients, ponies, dicks, shit like that. Stickman comics where Grant's character always wears a dress.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day One

First day of GenCon. Not a lot of cosplay on display. Contrary to popular belief cosplayers must have jobs. Spent most of today wandering the exhibition hall, looking for games to demo.

Fantasy Flight released X-Wing today. A dogfighting board game, obviously set in the Star Wars universe. I mention this because my audience isn't all that hip to SW. Not that I blame any of you, Lucas is a hack.

I digress. I spent last night explaining to Austin why exactly Star Wars is terrible and why I would not trust this game until I saw it in action. Fantasy Flight is almost always a safe bet(with the exception of Privateer, that rock scissors game is garbage. Yup so bad they didn't even include paper.)

So this morning as soon as the hall opened Austin made a beeline for FF and snagged two 100 point armies for X-Wing, to get a shot at the inaugural tourney. Actually probably should call them squadrons. I, being distrustful of all things Lucas, mosied over to the demo.

Here is the scoop, base game is $40 (which is quite a steal for an FF game). This includes a grand total of two tie fighters and one X-Wing. Extra ships 15 a pop. Austin waits for an hour in what may have been the longest line since Russia in 1916. As he waits he slowly comes to the realization that I came to before I even saw the game, he is getting took for 130 dollars. The base fucking game comes with three goddamn pieces.

He left that shit at the booth and picked up six games for less than an X_Wing tourney set.

I will get into those later. For now I am heading to free dinner and beer at the hotel.





1 comment: